Hi, I’m Derek Murphy. I’ve worked with hundreds of best-selling authors and thought-leaders to develop book covers that complement their vision, stand out, get noticed, and attract new readers. My goal is to constantly be increasing my skills, and I want your cover to be my new best work, something we’ll both be proud of, that I can show off in my portfolio.
I Make Covers That Sell Books
My designs help my clients make money, attract publishers and get a lot of reviews. That’s why over 75% of my clients come back to me with repeat business for their next project. I like to take on new clients when I can, but the demand for my work means I get to be choosy regarding who I work with.
Many self-publishing authors are way too attached to their book to approach the cover design professionally, and trying to convince them to use the cover that will sell the best (rather than the one they like) is waste of my time and their money.
I do my absolute best work for authors whose books are already well reviewed and are already selling – but want a facelift or better branding; for such authors I can often double or triple sales.
I don’t want to charge you money for a cover that won’t sell your book.
I only want to work on projects where I can make a very valuable and powerful impact on the book’s success.
For this reason I’m only interested in working with authors who fulfill these conditions…
You’re my IDEAL CLIENT if…
- You want to earn a return on your investment. Which means you’re ready to view your book as a product, and make it something other people will want to buy. That means marketing factors are more important than your opinions, every time.
- You’ll work with me on the process, but not take over. You won’t make samples in Word or Publisher of what you think your cover should look like, and expect me to follow your explicit instructions. You won’t tell me what fonts and colors to use (or at the very least, you’ll listen when I tell you it looks amateurish and homemade, and give me the freedom to choose better ones for you).
- You want a winning cover that has a solid, emotional, immediate impact. This is about the big picture, the first and only impression. You won’t fret and worry about the little details, or want to see one hundred variations while ignoring my recommendations.
- You’re not in a huge rush. Impulsive authors with self-imposed deadlines sometimes beg me to help with their cover, email me twice a day to check in, and then freak out and ask for a refund anyway. I do a lot of pro-bono work and always assist older clients with whatever they need made. While I tend to be pretty responsive and quick to make changes, we’ll get along much better if you understand I’ve got a lot on my plate and can’t always get back to you immediately.
- You’ve already published at least one book. Not a deal-breaker, but inexperienced authors often don’t know what they want and are harder to please. They are also less likely to listen to my advice or make smart cover design choices. The first book is almost always a learning process, and while I’m happy to hold your hand, be patient and walk you through the self-publishing process, being too concerned with your feelings and compromising my design standards can lead to a sub-standard cover, and I’m no longer willing to make anything less than amazing.
What you can count on from me…
Professional authors want the cover that will produce the most sales and best reviews – and they understand that nothing else matters.
The cover’s job is to sell the book, and I’ve proven, many times over, with hundreds of clients, that I know how to pick winners. That’s why I’m consistently booked months in advance. That said, of course I can’t get it right every time. I’ll always give you lots of options, and I’ll recommend you test the covers on as wide an audience as possible.
I can even help you test multiple covers, titles and subtitles to make sure we pick the one that appeals most to your target audience. But you need to be willing to rely on the data more than your personal preferences.
If you hire me to design your book cover, you can trust me to care deeply about your book’s success, but you must give me the freedom to give you my best work.
Free yourself from the headache of worrying…
…about resolution, height-to-width ratio, thumbnails, pixel size requirements, ink bleed and margins, spine width… I’ve successfully designed hundreds of books for Lulu, Createspace, Lightning Source, and offset printers. Just tell me what you need and I’ll make it happen.
Take the guess work out of your cover design, before bad choices lead to lost sales. Authors are concerned with making the cover represent their story, as they envisage it. They tend to focus on tiny details and accuracy, rather than the aesthetics and the overall effect of the cover. But a brilliant cover is like a genius headline: its only purpose is to hook interest and create an emotive response, so that people can’t resist reading the story. A book cover that fails to engage with your target readers (or even worse, attracts the wrong type of readers) can be disastrous in terms of sales and reviews.
As an indie author myself with almost a decade of self-publishing experience, I know how important your book is to you. I also know how frustrating – but also rewarding – the process can be. As a former fine artist with a background in classical oil painting, I bring a unique artistic vision and aesthetic style. As an entrepreneur with several thriving businesses, I know how little changes in design can make a big difference in sales. My portfolio speaks for itself; you should also check out my “makeover” section.